6 Top Benefits of Cold Water Therapy. Alternatives to Wim Hof Method.
I want to share with you a Wellness Habit that I have been practising for years as it brings me so many benefits.
Many of you have probably been dipping into the Cold Atlantic this Summer. The idea might not sound too attractive in the Winter, but you might reconsider after learning about the immense benefits for your Health!
Have you heard about the Wim Hof Method before? For sure, you did! Wim Hof is a Dutch extreme athlete who has set Guinness World Records for swimming under and having prolonged full-body contact with ice. He believes that exposing your body to cold temperatures has many health benefits, from improving sleep, speeding up recovery after physical exercise, enhancing focus, and boosting your immune response.
While the idea of dipping your body in a container full of ice cubes might not sound the right one for you, you can try other alternatives that will still bring you the benefits of cold therapy.
You can practice Wim Hof Method in Ireland and the UK by swimming in our Atlantic Ocean. A few nice places are at the Forty Foot in Dublin, Inchydoney Beach in Co. Cork, Blackrock Diving Tower, in Salthill, Co. Galway and Belmullet tidal Pool, Co. Mayo, Keem Bay, Achill also County Mayo and if you are taking a trip North, be sure to check out Fort Dunree in Buncrana, and along the Causeway Coastal Route you will find Ballygally Beach, Co. Antrim.
If some sea swimming is not an option here and you don't have the sea close to your house, you can benefit from Cold Therapy by taking cold showers! Swimming in cold water (15 degrees or below) or even having cold showers in the morning makes me feel more energised, gain clarity of mind, and be in a better mood for the rest of the day. Not to mention how well I sleep those nights!
The image below shows some people that get into the cold water in BlackRock, Salthill, Galway. There is a wonderful community of sea swimmers not only in Galway and Mayo but all over the country (I don't want to mention it again but I will mention it again!! Have you seen the outdoor swimming pool in Belmullet, Co. Mayo?!!)
6 Top Benefits of Cold Water Therapy
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety
- It boosts your immune system
- Boosts energy
- It enhances your circulation
- It boosts your mood and productivity
- It may reduce muscle soreness
Some tips to start!
- Take it slow! Acclimatising is essential. You can take two weeks to get used to cold water. The best way is to start cold swimming in the summer and then carry on in the Winter.
- Control your entry into the water and enter once you have your breath under control. The first pillar of the Wim Hof method is breathing. You can check out his recommendations on how to control your breath in the Official Wim Hof Method website
- Go with a friend or join a club. That will encourage you to start, and you will be accompanied. Open water can be dangerous. Never swim on your own
- Your body temperature will continue to drop after you get out of the water, reaching its coldest 10 minutes post-swim, so it is important that you dress immediately to avoid getting a cold! Have your car close to change your clothes or find a place with changing rooms.
- If you don't have sea close to your home or are not a good swimmer, you can also benefit from Cold Showers at home!
- Everyone is different, and what works for me, might not work for you. If you have respiratory, heart or blood pressure problems, are pregnant or unfit, I urge you to to seek your doctor’s advice first.
Benefits from using Pressure and Cold Therapy with Kocoono LUXE👇🏼
With Kocoono Weighted Blanket LUXE you can have the benefits of Deep Pressure Therapy and Cold Therapy together! Yes , you heard well! With Kocoono Weighted Blanket LUXE, you can apply Cold Therapy. The hot weather made people love the cooling capabilities of the Kocoono LUXE but the truth is that this has been proved to have so many benefits in many different situataion,. Learn more how you can apply a cooling effect with Kocooo LUXE in the video below:
Benefits from using Pressure and Cold Therapy with the Kocoono LUXE
- It combats anxiety: The gentle pressure therapy provided by its segmented weight provides the feeling and the benefits of a hug, reducing anxiety levels. Its exclusive integrated Shoulder Embrace cocoons your body from the top and will make you feel secure and safe. Feeling too hot at night can increase levels of anxiety. The cooling effect of Kocoono LUXE by inserting some of the inner weighted bands into the freezer can help you reduce your anxiety.
- Helps you sleep: The Pressure of the Kocoono LUXE calms your Nervous System, decreasing your heart rate, relaxing your body and making you feel embraced. The weight also encourages stillness, reducing your movements at night, thus helping you have a restful night. Cold Therapy will help you if you are a hot sleeper and wake up at night. Keeping your body cool will regulate your body temperature and prevent you from awake in the middle of the night.
- It helps you treat Muscle pains, stiffness and speed up muscles recovery. Pressure therapy acts as a massage for your muscles and allows rest of your body, reducing swelling and inflammations. Cold Therapy will also help reduce your inflammations and speed any muscle recovery!
- Enhances circulation: Pressure Therapy acts as a massage on your body's pressure points, which improve circulation. On top of that, Cold Therapy rushes your blood and can help promote healthy blood circulation.